This course takes you from the philosophical foundations of the U.S. Constitution through the modern interpretation and application of its ideals. You will find videos of noted scholars explaining key aspects of the Constitution and online exercises to check for understanding. The course follows the We the People: The Citizen & the Constitution Level 3 textbook, which has been used throughout the country to further understanding of our government and its fundamental principles.
This is a free, self-paced course. It contains six units of instruction with multiple lessons in each unit. You can complete the course at your own pace and in your own time.
What You Will Learn
- The philosophical and historical foundations of the American political system
- The creation of the U.S. Constitution
- The Bill of Rights and other amendments to the Constitution
- The role of federalism and the branches of government
- The rights protected by the Bill of Rights
- Challenges facing American constitutional democracy in the twenty-first century
Strengthening Democracy in America is a collection of free courses featuring video interviews with noted scholars. These courses will deepen your understanding of the American political system and your rights and responsibilities in it. The first two
courses provide a framework for understanding the history and development of the system. Subsequent courses focus on its strengths and weaknesses and means of enhancing the strengths and diminishing the weaknesses. The courses are open to anyone
and can be completed at your own pace.