How Much Do You Love Civic Education?- Join the Special Conversation for February

I Love It...To Help Discuss the Powers of President Through Executive Orders

Picture of Patience LeBlanc
I Love It...To Help Discuss the Powers of President Through Executive Orders
by Patience LeBlanc - Sunday, January 27, 2019, 2:46 PM

Should the President of the United States have the power of executive order?  In your opinion, are executive orders an effective way to govern? Or do they bypass the legislative process?   Historically, which executive orders have had the most impact on our society?

Re: I Love It...To Help Discuss the Powers of President Through Executive Orders
by Patience LeBlanc - Monday, January 28, 2019, 1:45 PM

I found a short video from the History Channel briefly addressing executive orders. Might be great for the classroom. Check it out!

https://www.history.com/topics/us-government/executive-order 

Picture of John Hale
Re: I Love It...To Help Discuss the Powers of President Through Executive Orders
by John Hale - Tuesday, February 5, 2019, 1:57 PM

I think executive orders are useful in times of crisis, but between executive orders and signing statements, the President can go to extremes. Of course, if one agrees with the executive orders then one is perfectly happy. But executive orders damage the role of  Congress and undermine the regular order of congressional business. So the fewer the better executive orders, I say. 

by Patience LeBlanc - Thursday, February 7, 2019, 6:19 PM

I agree with you. I think it is true that when you agree with an executive order then you are more likely to appreciate it. I also agree that it does by passes the legislative process.  I wonder if there is anyone that has a great chart or something that they use in their classroom to show the historically each president and the number of executive orders.  It would also be interesting to see how many executive orders are over turned by the next administration or by Congress itself. 

Please Share!

Picture of Jared Le Blanc
by Jared Le Blanc - Thursday, February 7, 2019, 7:40 PM

There are so many great Executive Orders. I would say that LBJ’s Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Guidelines have had a huge impact on society.  But, my favorite is FDR’s Order 6102 Forbidding the Hoarding of Gold Coin, Gold Bullion and Gold Certificates. It actually forced people to give up their gold to the Federal Reserve! I would not have been happy.

by Patience LeBlanc - Saturday, February 9, 2019, 6:55 AM

Those are fairly unknown executive orders. Thanks for sharing.